With no expectations we went south of Aberdeen from guidance from the lads at Somers Tackle Shop, and got a yomp on. After 20 minutes we found 2 other anglers on the rocks, and headed down for a quick word and pick up some local advice. John and Matty had just got there themselves, and we watched matty get a good couple pounds of pollock on feathers immediately, so following a generous invite for us to join them we legged it back to the car to get some gear and to start fishing alongside them. Ross had a cracking time nailing pollock to about 4lb on a deep spinning rig he'd perfected at his pollock marks in North Wales, whereas I was using jigheads, and so not getting the required depth. Meanwhile John and Matty had a steady stream of codling from bait, giving us immense confidence in the mark, and the general fishing in the area. Luckily that first day I eventually managed a codling of about 2lbs on a savagear sandeel 125mm.
![]() |
| Estimated 6lb pollock, at 66 cm |
The next day we joined the pair again, and after going back to somers to stock up on deep spinning rig components, I had more confidence of getting some pollock. For some reason I struggled when Ross was bringing in some decent size fish, until he lent me a firetail sidewinder, first cast of which I got a right battle from a loverly 6lber, a definate pb. not bad for the second scottish session. Shortly after, I lost another which I thought of an even bigger one due to an inconvieniently placed reef in front of us, and Marty also had a cracker of codling on a sidewinder.
This post is published the night before leaving for Aberdeen for my very eagerly awaited third session, which will be full of photos of my lures, rigs and hopefully fish!!

No comments:
Post a Comment